Darling Little DIY Linen Ornaments
'Tis the season to infuse your home with whimsy and creativity, and what better way to do that than by DIY-ing some holiday ornaments? Follow this step-by-step tutorial to create darling little, handmade ornaments that will add a little magic to your holidays.
Materials You'll Need:
- Linen fabric, or any background fabric
- Scrap fabric in a few different colors
- (3) 3” embroidery hoops
- Appliqué templates, printed
Here is the download link:
- Heat n Bond
- Iron and board
- Contrasting or coordinating thread
- Ribbon or string for hanging
- Sewing machine
Selecting Your Ornament Design
1. Choose one from the templates or all three. It’s up to you and you can draw your own too.
Print Out The Template Page
2. Be sure to select “Actual Size” in printer settings.Download the cute template.
Trace Template Onto Heat n Bond
3. Using a window or screen plate Heat n Bond paper side up on the template and trace all the pieces you need.4. Cut out all of your Heat n Bond pieces.
5. Iron Heat n Bond textured side to wrong side of fabric for 1-2 seconds.
Cutting Out Fabric Shapes
6. Cut out all fabric pieces and set aside.
7. Cut out linen or background fabric using the template.
8. Place shapes as desired onto background circle and press for 5 seconds or until adhered.
9. Stitch around shapes close the edge for raw edge appliqué. I used a zigzag stitch at a 2.0 stitch width and an 1.0 stitch length. Stitch any eyes or smiles as you like.
10. Add the fabric from the embroidery hoop and trim any excess fabric.
11. Cut a length of 12” ribbon or string and create a loop, securing it to the top of the embroidery hoop. This will serve as the hanger for your ornament.
Woohoo! You've just created a beautiful, handmade appliquéd linen ornament that will undoubtedly stand out on your holiday tree. This DIY project not only allows you to express your creativity but also adds a personal touch to your festive decorations.
Let your imagination run wild, and don't forget to share your creations and tag me on IG @josimpsondesign https:www.instagram.com/josimpsondesign
Wishing you a joyful and craft-filled holiday season!